In 1992, several members of the Raceland and St. Charles communities got together to form and organize Lafourche Fire District #1 Volunteers Fire Department. The founders approached Lester Griffin and asked him to be their first Fire Chief. He agreed and was allowed to choose his own two assistants, Gregg Falgout and Glynn Comeaux.
On January 1, 1993 Lafourche Fire District #1 Volunteers took over firefighting duties of Lafourche Parish Fire Protection District No.1, which consisted of all areas south of Lafourche Crossing to St. Anne Hospital, and From Bayou Des Allemands to Bayou Blue incorporating 173 square miles. On that day, Lafourche Fire District No.1 Volunteers had four fire stations, station 1 on St. Phillip St., Station 2 at LA1 and US 90, Station 3 on LA 308 north of Raceland, and Station 4 on LA 308 in the St. Charles community and three 1977 W.S. Darley 750 gpm pumpers, a 1984 E-One 1250 gpm pumper and a 1984 E-One Heavy walk-in Rescue.
A call was placed to the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department and a 1962 W.S. Darley 750 gpm pumper was loaned to Lafourche Fire District #1 Volunteers.
Later that year a 1981 Boyer 1000 gpm pumper was acquired from the Des Allemands Volunteer Fire Department.
A building was leased from the Lafourche Parish government becoming the fifth fire station located at LA 308 and Hwy 182. (later to become Station 6)
In 1995, Lafourche Parish Fire Protection District No.1 purchased a 1972 American LaFrance 100 ft. aerial Ladder truck and a 1995 5-Alarm hose tender with 2000 ft of 4 in hose capacity.
In 1996, three Ferrara 1250 gpm pumpers were purchased increasing the department to 9 pumpers. A sixth station was constructed on LA1 north of Raceland becoming Station 5.
In 1998, after six years, Lester Griffin retired as Fire Chief and Glynn Comeaux became the second Fire Chief with Gregg Falgout and James Saucier as assistant chiefs.
In 1999, a Central State 1250 gpm pumper was purchased increasing the department to 10 pumpers.
In 2000, a 1993 Ambulance was purchased and was placed into service as a Salvage/Rescue. A seventh station was constructed at LA1 and Bayou Vista Dr, becoming Station 7.
In 2003, a 1983 E-One Rescue was purchased from the Paradis Volunteer Fire Department. This unit became the rescue unit and the 1984 E-One rescue was converted into a Salvage unit.
In 2004, an E-One 1500 gpm pumper was purchased and replaced one of the 1977 W.S. Darley 750 gpm pumpers.
In 2005, a 1983 E-One 95 ft. aerial Platform was purchased to replace the 1972 American LaFrance 100 ft. aerial and a 5-Alarm rescue was purchased to replace the 1983 E-One rescue.
In 2007, the 1984 E-One Salvage unit was remounted on to a 2007 International Chassis with some body modifications. An E-One 1500 gpm pumper was purchased, and the 1962 W.S. Darley 750 gpm pumper was returned to the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department.
In 2008, a 5-Alarm 1500 gpm pumper was purchased and replaced another of the 1977 W.S. Darley 750 gpm pumpers.
In 2009, a 5-Alarm rescue/salvage unit was purchased to replace the 1993 ambulance. A 17 foot Gatortail was added to the fleet as the departmentís Fireboat. It has a 250 gpm portable pump with a deck gun on the front deck.
In 2010, a 5-Alarm 1500 gpm pumper was purchased to replace the 1981 Boyer Pumper. The Boyer was donated to Bayou Boeuf VFD.